Since I experienced an ectopic pregnancy in 1988, Mother’s Day has always been difficult for me. People wish me a “Happy Mother’s Day” without realizing the heartache it causes. Last year I’d become upset because Mother’s Day was celebrated for three days beginning on Friday. Store clerks and everyone else I came in contact with greeted me with wishes for a happy day on Sunday. I even received an email from a regional church associate reminding me not to forget the day. I hit the roof. How could anyone forget Mother’s Day?  I was bombarded with it for three days. I really don’t appreciate being reminded of my loss and I try to take it in stride, but it does get to me. I know I can’t possibly be alone. Other ladies have suffered similar loss and some have never even been able to conceive. As the holiday approached this year, I truly dreaded it. My own mother passed in  2000 so from that point on I try to ignore the date. I even dread going to church after having been given a rose in 2001, which set off an uncontrollable crying jag so bad I had to exit the sanctuary. I prayed for the good Lord to shield me this year and He did.

Friday as I ran my errands I was amazed that no one mentioned the day. How truly blessed I was! Then early Sunday morning as I sat reading my emails I heard my cell phone ringing. I thought it might be church business, but in checking the caller ID, I saw it was from North Carolina and assumed it concerned our summer home. Instead I was greeted by a very special voice. Dr. Sam, a young man whom Jim and I befriended during his college years, was the caller. My happiness soared as we chatted. He’d begun calling me his second mom in 2005 and for me that was a gift beyond compare. I have never known a more thoughtful, compassionate person. We first met because his father, an ordained A.M.E. minister, was the janitor at the elementary school at which I taught. My first husband and I had invited his family to fish in our pond and we all became friends. As my first husband became  ill with what was finally diagnosed as esophageal cancer, Sam made it a point to stop by and visit with him. This visit was not convenient in that it added distance and time to his return trip to college, but Sam cared enough to do it. When my husband passed away, Sam and his dad came by the house the first evening and offered their condolences. It meant so much to know they cared.

When Jim and I married, I introduced him to Sam’s entire family and Jim took a special liking to Sam, but who wouldn’t. His smile could light the world and his Christian upbringing is so evident in his love for others. We were invited to his graduation from State and kept apprised of his desire to attend medical school. He was accepted by Wake Forest and we were blessed to attend his graduation there too in 2005. Now he is a full-fledged doctor in the field of orthopedics and hopeful of being able to help Jim with his ailments. That’s our Sam!

As we chatted on Sunday morning, I was overcome with joy. Sam’s sweet wishes for my day were accepted with delight. I thanked God for bringing him into our lives and walked outside. Within minutes,the Lord blessed me with another one of his creations.  I’d gotten a Mexican hydrangea from our garden club last year and was pleased that it had made it through the icy winter. I’d been told they were prolific and wondered if it would do well on our sandy soil. Much to my delight, I found a new shoot about three feet from the parent plant. What a treasure!

Jim was not up to attending church, so I decided to drive to Georgetown and visit a Lutheran Church there. I’d been raised in the Lutheran church and wanted to see if I would still feel a connection. Well, I did. Thank you, dear God, for knowing exactly what we need to bolster our hearts and strengthen our faith. Amazingly, no one mentioned Mother’s Day to me although the pastor thanked all women for the nurturing role they play in our society. I could accept that! Yes, God had answered my request and blessed me beyond anything I would have been able to hope for.